As the only centre of its kind in North America, WHIWH CHC aims to empower racialized women, trans and non-binary people, and improve their health outcomes. Working together as a multidisciplinary team to provide quality holistic health care, we are committed to working from a trauma-informed, intersectional feminist, pro-choice, anti-racist, anti-oppressive, sex-positive, harm reduction, and multilingual participatory framework in addressing the issue of access to healthcare for our mandated priority populations.
In action, this looks like:
- Providing low barrier and culturally safe, relevant and specific holistic health care. Addressing the issue of access to healthcare (encompassing all the social and structural determinants of health) caused by factors including poverty, gender, race, violence, sexual orientation, religion, culture, weight bias, language, age, disability, immigration, class, and socio-economic circumstances.
- Supporting a client’s right to make informed choices about their health.
- Enhancing our clients sense of well-being in an atmosphere that allows us to validate each other's definitions and experiences.
- Engaging in systems advocacy, developing strategies to remove the barriers embedded within the healthcare system which strongly influence how one experiences health and how one is treated by the health care system.
- Advocating for and with our communities for change.
- Building scientific knowledge and evidence on the health of women, trans and non-binary clients.
- Participating in community activities which create the social and environmental conditions that promote health and wellness.