Mental Health Services
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands counselling services employs a feminist, woman-centred approach to provide short-term counselling, group sessions and workshops to women from our priority populations.
Counselling takes place from the perspective that, throughout history, women have possessed the strengths that have enabled them to cope with adverse situations. Therefore, the approach to counselling focuses on women’s strengths, capabilities, and resources rather than on weaknesses and limitations.
Work is based on mental health promotion rather than on treatment of disorders and/or illnesses. Counselling acknowledges women’s experiences of oppression within the context of power dynamics involving gender, race, class, ability, age and sexual orientation.
Mental Health Promotion initiatives aim at offering services that will enhance and strengthen women’s capacity to: implement changes in their social and physical environment, develop a significant social support system, form constructive relationships with others, and gain more control over their own lives.
These services include:
- Mental health information/education
- Counselling – Brief Counselling Strategies (CBT, Solution Focused, Mindfulness, Arts Based, Expressive)
Overall Goals Of Therapy Are To Facilitate The Following:
- Improve client’s supports and skills client to enhance functioning
- Improve coping strategies
- Provide the client with the skills to recognize problems and act proactively
- Eliminate negative beliefs and perceptions, which can serve to maintain or increase problems
- Empower clients to recognize and acknowledge their inherent abilities
Counselling services are offered within a brief counselling model (15 sessions) and sessions are booked by appointment. A limited number of evening appointments are available.
In addition to individual support and counselling, our experienced therapists also offer groups and workshops year-round to our clients including
- Art Therapy
- Resistance and Resilience
- Stress Reduction
- Anger Awareness
Questions regarding our individual support
and counselling services, please contact intake